The changing skyline of Lower Manhattan in the twentieth century was a popular subject for artists. As “progress” encroached on these historic neighborhoods, architectural tastes shifted from the traditional to the modern and the city’s growing population necessitated the demolition of buildings that had existed for decades. In this print, Goldthwaite captures one of the many buildings that fell victim to changing tastes and expanding boundaries.
This was the fate that befell St. John’s Chapel. Built in 1807, this small branch of Trinity Parish served many of Manhattan’s poor until it was demolished to make way for the widening of Verick Street. In the struggle to save the historic chapel, architects had even suggested running the street and sidewalk through its portico. SM 4/20/09
Click a term to view the records with the same keyword