Alfred and Henry Smith were first generation American glassmakers in the late 1800s, located in New Bedford, Massachusetts at the Mount Washington Glass Works. They came to Mt. Washington from Boston in 1871 under contract to William L. Libby to create the glass decorating department. The brothers had been trained by their father, an English glassmaker who came to Boston in about 1851 to work at the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company . As artisans, they can be traced through their own patents when they took over the decorating business at Mt. Washington for themselves, and created their own firm. They were known for making functional glass (particularly painted lampshades) and decorative tableware.