The Union Glass Company was founded in 1851 by Armory Houghton and his son, Francis Houghton, in Somerville, Massachusetts. The company closed in 1860 due to financial failure. They soon reorganized and reopened 1862. Julian de Cordova took over the company at the turn of the century. He made it into one of the best glass houses in the country until it closed in 1924.